TEN Steps to be undertaken in the correction of an entry in a civil registry document
- Contact a lawyer who will prepare the Petition for correction of entry.
- Lawyers shall file the Petition in the Regional Trial Court. The fee for filing the Petition in the Regional Trial Court is P160.00.
- The Petition will be raffled and assigned to a branch of the Regional Trial Court.
- The assigned Regional Trial Court shall issue an Order for the publication of its Order in a newspaper of general circulation for three consecutive weeks. Fee for publication varies.
- The Order contains the date of the first hearing.
- During the first hearing, the lawyer will present compliance of the jurisdictional requirements like publication of the Order in a newspaper of general circulation.
- After establishing compliance with jurisdictional requirements, the petitioner will be presented in Court to testify. The Court may assign the Clerk of Court to receive evidence.
- During the hearing, it is possible that an oppositor may appear contesting the Petition. If no oppositor appears, the Clerk of Court will receive the petitioner's evidence.
- After presentation of evidence, the Court will rule on the Petition.
- If the decision is favorable, the Court will order the Office of City Registrar to correct the entry in the civil registry document (birth/marriage/death certificate of the petitioner).