Quick Facts on Rapu-Rapu
- POPULATION: 35, 875 (As of 2010)
- NO. OF BARANGAYS: 34
- MAJOR INDUSTRY: Agriculture (Palay and Abaca), Handicraft Making (Banig),
The municipality of Rapu - Rapu is composed of two big islands, namely, Batan and Rapu - Rapu. Before it became a municipality on 1901, it was a bario of Prieto Diaz, Sorsogon. The Visita (Chapel) here and the spiritual and pastoral needs of the people were taken care of by the Parish Priest of Prieto Diaz. Records show that Rev. Fr. Santiago Nepomuceno was in charge here in the early part of 1891, then Rev. Fr. Juan Brusola took over. It was during his term that the Parish of Sta. Florentina was founded.
Sometime after the year 1891,Rapu - Rapu and Batan Islands became part of the municipality of Bacon, Sorsogon mainly due to their geographical location, nearer to Bacon than to Prieto Diaz. This move was more favorable to the people transportation - wise and business - wise. Because of the growing population in both islands, Governor Arlington Betts, Civil Governor for the Province of Albay, created the municipality of Rapu - Rapu in 1901. A plebiscite was held. The people were made to choose, if they would want to belong to the province of Sorsogon or to the province of Albay. Majority of the people chose Albay for their province and their will pass respected.
Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/JemasTravelAndToursAgency