Quick Facts on Sto. Domingo
- LAND AREA: 51.22 km2 (19.78 sq mi)
- POPULATION: 32,414 (As of 2010)
- NO. OF BARANGAYS: 23
- MAJOR INDUSTRY: Agriculture
STO. DOMINGO, originally name Libog, is a former barrio of Ibalon and was established in the year 1749. This event took place through the efforts of its inhabitants under secessionist leader Don Domingo Castellanos who took up the issue authorities in Manila.
The name "Libog" appears to be corruption of bicol term "Libot" meaning, roundabout. As it is, the poblcation was off the main route between the trade center towns of Tabaco and Legazpi City, but had to included in the route for trading and government purposes, thus a roundabout road had to be constructed.
Republic Act. 2520, enacted by Congresswoman Tecla S. Ziga, provided for the change of name Libog to Sto. Domingo. Formal proclamation of its new name was made on August 4, 1959 which coincide with the feast day of town's patron saint. In July 1816, 159 moro pirates attacked the town taking with them a captive who was able to return after 20 years. The attack prompted the natives to construct watchtowers and wall along the shore, ruins of which are in existence. The year 1832 was memorable; first, the town received its 1st Filipino Priest, Fr. Martin Martinez, and secondly, the Presedencia Municipal was completed under Captain Teodoro Felebrico. This edifice was in ruin for sometimes and rehabilitated as a public school building under the Japanese oriented class and finally rehabilitated as Municipal Hall in 1960.
The town is the birthplace of "Sarung Banggi", a classical bicol love song composed by an illustrious son of Libog Potenciano Gregorio in 1910. It is also the center of the resitance movement against the Japanese, headed by Col. Faustino M. Flor, a native of this town and founder of the guerilla movement. The town is never spared from the perils of eruptions of Mayon Volcano since 1616, last are strong of which was on February 2, 1993 and two preatic explosion that occured on June 22 and September 22, 1999, thus the people learn to live by it, comes every eruption time.