Of the population 15 years old and over, there were those who were in the labor force and those who were not...
The employed persons in July 2008 ...
- The number of persons in the labor force, or those who were either employed or unemployed was estimated at 2.144 million in July 2008.
- Employment level in July 2008 (2.049 million) increased by 30 thousand persons over the recorded level of 1.933 million in July 2007.
- In terms of proportion to the total in the labor force, the employment rate recorded an increase of 1.2 percentage points from 94.4 percent in July 2007 to 95.6 percent in July 2008.
- Of the employed persons, about 62.1 percent were males and 37.9 percent were females.
Of the employed persons, there were those working either in agriculture, industry or services...
- Of the 2.049 million employed persons in July 2008 in Bicol, the bulk of the employed persons were in the agriculture sector, 45.2 percent of the total employed. Its proportion to total employment increased by 1.9 percentage points to 45.2 percent in July 2008 from 43.3 percent in July 2007.
- Employment in the services sector came second. Its proportion to total employment decreased by 0.6 percentage point to 42.9 percent in July 2008 from 43.5 percent in July 2007.
- Employed persons in wholesale & retail trade, repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and personal and household goods comprised the largest number of employed persons in the services sector at 18.3 percent followed by transportation, storage and communication with 5.3 percent.
- Proportion of workers in the industry sector declined by 1.1 percentage point to 12.0 percent in July 2008 from 13.1 percent in July 2007.
- Of the 12.0 percent employed persons in the industry sector, manufacturing sub-sector employed the largest with 6.1 percent, followed by construction sub-sector with 4.6 percent; mining & quarrying with 0.9 percent and electricity, gas & water with 0.4 percent.
The employed by occupation...
- Occupation-wise, service workers and shop & market sales workers registered an increase of 1.3 percentage points to 10.1 percent in July 2008 from 8.8 percent in July 2007 - the largest increment recorded among the major occupation groups in Bicol.;
- Laborers and unskilled workers which dominated the employed population in July 2008, recorded an increase of 1.1 percentage points to 36.7 percent in July 2008 from 35.6 percent in the same period last year.
- Officials of government and special interest organizations, corporate executives, managers, managing proprietors, and supervisors posted an increase of 0.5 percentage point to 10.7 percent in July 2008 from 10.2 percent in July 2007.
- Similarly, clerks showed slight increase of 0.2 percentage point in July 2008 to 2.6 percent from 2.4 percent in July 2007.
- On the contrary, farmers, forestry workers, and fishermen posted a decrease of 0.9 percentage point to 23.7 percent from 24.6 percent last year, followed by plant and machine operators and assemblers with 0.8 percentage point; professionals with 0.2 percentage point and technicians & associate professionals with 0.2 percentage point.
Of the employed persons, there were those who were paid wages and salaries, worked on their account, or worked for the family...
- Categorized by class of worker, own-account workers (42.4 percent) and wage & salary (40.1 percent) comprised the bulk of the employed workforce of Bicol Region.
- The proportion of unpaid family workers increased by 3.2 percentage points to 17.6 percent in July 2008 from 14.4 percent in July 2007, while wage and salary workers decreased by 3.1 percentage points to 40.1 percent in July 2008 from 43.2 percent in July 2007. Own-account workers maintained its proportion at 42.4 percent.
Back to top